Sunday, April 29, 2012

Sunday in Xian


Sunday in Xian


We had a free day today. I had hoped we'd both sleep in until well after 8am but at 6:15 we both couldn't sleep any longer.

We did hang out in pj's until after 8 though. We skyped with the family back home, then got ready for breakfast. After breakfast, we took a Sunday stroll through town.


We are in a rather large city. The city of Xian is has a city-center that is marked by a large fortress of a wall that surrounds just the city-center.

Outside the wall is still Xian but just not the center of Xian. Inside the wall is sort of like Time Square. We are inside the wall. We walked to the actual wall today. It's about a 15 min walk to the South Gate of the wall. 
I could not figure out how to get "on" the actual wall and in our search, we found a little walk park, which I enjoyed and Joy could not stand. But I will admit from time to time when she saw the elderly she literally got scared. I don't know what was up with that. We did figure out how to get on the wall, but it included crossing a 6 lane major intersection which totally frightened me but I was determined, so I attached ourselves to some locals, shoulder-to-shoulder and we made a run for it. So glad we did! When we got to the entrance of the South Gate, there was a festival going on with a show and music. It was by-far the coolest thing I have ever seen in China. 
It really lifted my spirits which were beginning to dwindle. After the show, we walked around the wall for a while then back to our hotel, stopping at Baskin Robin on the way.

We hung out in the room for hours actually. We both needed some down time. As of writing this it's 3pm here (and 3am EST at home). 
We are going to an early dinner. I'm thinking Pizza Hut. Joy has never had pizza before. I hope she enjoys it. Pizza Hut in China is gernally better than America by a long shot for some strange reason.

So, are we bonding? It seems that way. She is not overly effectionate, at least at this point. When I hug her, tickle her or kiss her cheek, she doesn't pull away. She will giggle and smile big, so at least she seems okay with receiving affection. I have told her in Chinese that I love her and then repeated it in English and she smiles. I've done that since Gotcha Day. 




Today I did that as we were walking out of the walk park and she looked up at me and pointed at me and said "I love you" (in English). I'm hoping she meant it vs just practicing her English. Our photos for today include our walk through the park, the festival and city wall and being silly in our hotel room. 


3 comments:

  1. I am just LOVING reading your posts!!! You are doing an amazing job there...I am awed by the way God has and is working! Praying for you all! Hugs to sweet Joy from us :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. <3 the stories, the pics and the REALness. Thanks for sharing Dawn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE following you along on your trip. I will be in Xian this weekend! Thank you for all the details and pics. Have a great trip.

    ReplyDelete