Saturday, April 28, 2012

Adoption Day


Adoption Day


Welcome to our family, Joy. Today Gao Er Guo legally became Joy Ning Guo Clark. 

Her new name means "Joyful Peaceful Fortress".








The day started with Joy experiencing her first buffet. Watermelon was her food of choice. Then we headed out to officially-legally adopt her.

While at the hotel I was worried about going back to the same office I met her at, afraid she might think either she would see her foster mom and be disappointed or afraid I was giving her back. I used my phone app to tell her I had to go back and sign papers so that I can keep her and then I asked her if she wanted to be my daughter, she smiled huge, gave a little leap and nodded a big yes. 

While I want to say something profound about today as it is a climax of the past year, I must be honest. I am beat! A year of emotions, 36 hours of travel and 2 days of being upside down in time, my body and emotions have just decided to take a break. I only write that so future adoptive parents don't feel guilt if they get to this day and feel the same as I. 
However, even in my exhaustion I KNOW that my Lord is good! I know HE did a wonderful thing today! Out of the dark and into the light, new freedom and soon to be knowledge of her creator.

A little about her: She's yet to learn personal boundaries (much like one we already have at home) which I could handle but I think it drove the guide crazy.  The guide kept saying 'she is like a boy'. She does indeed have a few social graces to learn but nothing major and that is to be expected. How would one know how to react in a restaurant if they've never been to one or to sit at a table if they've always used there lap. Baby steps. This life is ALL new to her; glass elevators, escalators, spoons, forks, her own plate vs shared, cars, everything is new. From a country girl with 1 outfit and no bathroom, to a sophisticated urban girl will take time. She is in training to become the princess she was born to be. A princess of the king! 

Tonight we did celebrate with a traditional Chinese dumpling dinner. It was a nice to experience (one time!). 

No comments:

Post a Comment